Celery is a simple green vegetable. It has a long fibrous stalk, tapering into leaves. It is used in salads and cooked vegetables. It is similar to coriander. The health benefits of celery are due to its excellent sources of beneficial enzymes and antioxidants.
Some of its benefits are listed below.
1. Celery helps in lowering inflammation. If you are suffering from joint pains, arthritis, lung infection, asthma or acne eating celery will help in bringing relief.
2. Celery helps in maintaining cholesterol levels. There is a component in celery called butylphthalide which helps in reducing Bad Cholesterol. Regular consumption also helps in preventing cardiovascular diseases.
3. Celery helps in treating Hig Blood Pressure. Its seed extract has anti- hypersensitive properties which help in maintaining Blood Pressure.
4. It maintains the body’s alkaline balance, thus help in preventing problems like acidity.
5. It also cures Bloating and improves Digestion. Its high water content combined with its fibrous properties helps in easy passage of stool.
6. Celery contains good salts that are organic, natural and good for our health, which helps in preventing water retention.
7. It helps in reducing stress levels. The minerals like magnesium in it help in soothing our nervous system. Regular consumption of celery in evening snacks or salads also helps in better sleep.
8. Celery also helps in weight loss. One large stalk of celery contains only 10 calories.so enjoy it in your meals in the form of salads, soups, stir-fried vegetables, etc.
9.celery has anti-cancerous properties. It contains polyacetylenes that remove toxins and helps in preventing the formation of cancer cells in the intestine, breast and also leukemia.
10. Celery has many benefits in the skin. The high water content of celery helps in improving the texture of the skin and giving it a natural glow.
11.celery also contains vitamin A, which helps in improving the vision of your eyes and also help in age-related degeneration of the eyes.
– While shopping for celery just make sure it should be fresh and crunchy.
– Shop for dark green color celery, as darker the color stronger the flavor.
– store it as it is, as in chopped form it may lose its nutrients.
– Never overcook The Celery,use it in steamed or raw form, as it loses its nutrients on cooking.
Dr. Samratha Singh
Homeopath & Metabolic Balance Coach