While some of us look forward to the winter season for the much-needed relief from the summer heat, there are others who are wary of the unfriendly chilly season that can bring with it increasing episodes of joints pain and aches. The drop-in temperature in this season creates low atmospheric pressure, and going by medical research, it means lower air pressure pushes less against our bodies. This causes our muscle tissues to expand and possibly put pressure on our joints. Microscopic in nature, we can hardly notice this body change, except that we start getting sensations of joint irritation, stiffness, and swelling which can aggravate our nerves resulting in increased pain.
To avoid Joint Pain, here are some easy-to-follow lifestyle tips:
- Exercise therapy: Regular exercise can certainly combat stiffness and pain and improve general wellbeing by regularly exercising as advised by your physical therapist.
- Stretch regularly: Daily stretching helps maintain our mobility and keeps us agile.
- Eat healthily: Include foods and supplements containing Omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin K and Vitamin C, vitamin D or fish oil. These nutrients are known for their pain-soothing properties.
- Stay active and warm: Extended periods of inactivity can cause our tissues to exert more pressure on the joint. Keep the blood circulation healthy by staying active. Also, make sure you keep yourself adequately warm.
- Consult a pain-management specialist: If your joints or muscle pain continues, then don’t leave it unattended. It is time to see a Doctor or an Ortho-Specialized Therapist to get the right treatment and to learn preventive exercise techniques.
- Drink plenty of water: A well-hydrated body means flexible muscles and reduced chances of injury.
So don’t cringe, say hello to a pain-free winter season!
Written By: Huma Kausar, Physiotherapist, AktivHealth, Delhi.