How can a Clinical Psychologist help you?
Scope of Clinical Psychology Services provided at AktivHealth:
As part of our comprehensive rehabilitation offering, our Clinical Psychology services are applied in patients’ mental health and development to deal with various emotional, mental, developmental or behavioural problems by using psychological assessment, formulation and diagnosis based on biological, social and psychological (bio-socio-psycho) factors and applying therapeutic interventions. It is used to assist children, young persons, adults and their families.
1. Counselling and Psychotherapy Services:
Counselling and psychotherapy (or talk therapy) is treatment through psychological means without the use of medication. Therapy is useful as it can help in better understanding of oneself and the issues that are being faced and how best to resolve them. Counselling sessions are usually 45-50 min. The number of sessions depends on the problem being faced.
Psychotherapy is conducted through Individual or Group sessions. Individual sessions are one on one. Group sessions are conducted in groups of 3-5 people in each group.
Who can benefit?
Psychotherapy is used in dealing with a broad variety of emotional issues and mental illnesses. Some of them are:
- Stress: Stress is the feeling of strain and pressure. It is normal to feel stressed from time to time. However, chronic or long-term stress affects physical and mental health.
- Depression: It is normal to feel low from time to time. Depression is a chronic feeling of sadness or low mood. It is often accompanied by feeling of lethargy, changes in sleep and appetite, and loss of interest in hobbies or other people. In more advanced stages, it affects attention and concentration.
- Anxiety: Occasional anxiety is a normal part of life. But anxiety disorders involve more than temporary worry or fear. For a person with an anxiety disorder, the anxiety does not go away and can get worse over time.
- Pain Management: Pain is a physical sensation arising out of injury or illness. However, pain has biological, psychological and emotional factors. The extent of pain differs for person to person. Psychological assistance in the form of therapy and relaxation exercises can help in managing pain.
2. Psychological Assessment Services:
Psychological services consist of assessment to understand the current situation of the client to plan effective management. An assessment consists of interviewing the client and administration of psychological tests.
- Development and Intelligence Assessment: This is the most common type of assessment done. This is done most commonly with children. This is conducted to assess if development is age-appropriate or if adjustment with the environment according to the person’s abilities.
- Education or Academic Assessment: This assessment consists of academic testing along with an intelligence test. Sometimes children face difficulties in academics which results in sub optimal academic performance. The assessment is done to rule out learning disabilities and to plan intervention accordingly.
- Personality Assessment/Diagnostic Assessment: This assessment is conducted to understand the current psychological situation of the person. It helps understand the way thoughts, feelings and emotions are processed. Personality assessments are also used to diagnose and ascertain severity of psychological illness like Anxiety, Depression and other psychological illnesses.
- Neuropsychological Assessment: These are conducted to assess cognitive functioning like memory, learning, planning abilities. Usually conducted to diagnose memory issues resulting from Stroke and Dementias (Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s etc). It is used to assess cognitive abilities after head injury or before and after a cranial (brain) surgery.
- Psychological Fitness Certificates: Oftentimes, jobs require psychological clearance to assess the psychological fitness for a job. These are brief assessments conducted for that purpose.