Diabetes describes a condition in which the body cannot make proper use of carbohydrate in food because the pancreas does not make enough insulin, or the insulin produced is ineffective, or a combination of both. Insulin is the hormone that helps glucose (sugar) from the digestion of carbohydrates in the food, move into the body’s cells where it is used for energy.
When insulin is not present or is ineffective, glucose builds up in the blood. The chronic hyperglycemia of diabetes is associated with long-term damage, dysfunction, and failure of different organs, especially the eyes, kidneys, nerves, heart, and blood vessels.
The main symptoms of diabetes are:
- increased thirst
- going to the loo all the time – especially at night
- extreme tiredness
- unexplained weight loss
- genital itching or regular episodes of thrush
- blurred vision
- slow healing of cuts and wounds.
Chronic complications of diabetes:
- Kidney disease
- Nerve damage
- Heart attack
Diabetes can be classified into the following general categories:
- Type 1 diabetes caused due to b-cell destruction, usually leading to absolute insulin deficiency.
- Type 2 diabetes caused due to a progressive insulin secretory defect on the background of insulin resistance.
- Gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) (diabetes diagnosed in the second or third trimester of pregnancy that is not clearly overt diabetes).
Management at AktivHealth :
AktivHealth’s German-innovated nutrition program – metabolic balance® and a team of expert physiotherapists & neuro physiotherapist, can help you eat judiciously and exercise correctly. A healthy nutritional approach and key principles, as recommended by metabolic balance®, will help stabilize your body’s insulin levels, giving you a natural feeling of fullness after a meal and balance your body’s metabolism. Besides this, we have the facility for customized insoles which can help in reducing pressure (preventing ulcers and other skin problems) and providing support and stability.