TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY (TBI)
Trauma caused by motor vehicle accidents, falls, acts of violence, or sports injuries are few of the common causes of brain injury. Children, older adolescents/young adults (less than 25 years old), and older adults are most at risk for experiencing TBI.
Who can benefit?
Patients who have suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury, may face some of the following impairments commonly associated with it:
- Paresis (muscle weakness)
- Abnormal tone (muscle tightness)
- Motor function
- Postural control
- Arousal level
- Executive functions
- Emotional lability
- Mental inflexibility
TBI Rehabilitation Programme at AktivHealth:
Brain injury rehabilitation involves two essential processes:
– Restoration of functions that can be restored.
– Learning how to do things differently when functions cannot be restored to pre-injury level.
AktivHealth delivers an intensive brain injury rehabilitation program to best address the complex needs of each patient. As a rehab centre we provide the earliest possible start to brain injury rehabilitation to help optimize the recovery of individuals.
Our goal-directed approach helps brain injury patients to:
- Maximize arousal and responsiveness.
- Develop new cognitive (intellectual, reasoning) and behavioral strategies to compensate for any deficits.
- Improve physical function and mobility to enhance the skills needed to perform daily activities.
- Overcome the psychological and social problems that often interfere with the adjustment to an independent life at home, work and/or in the community.