MET includes a broad range of activities that involve active participation from the patient. This approach can be applied to the cervical, lumbar and thoracic spine and also to the ribs and uses the soft tissue to restore joint movement.
Benefits of MET
1. Lengthen a shortened, contractured, or spastic muscle.
2. Strengthen a weakened muscle or group of muscles.
3. Reduce localized edema.
4. Relieve passive congestion.
5. Mobilize an articulation with restricted mobility.
6. Helps to improve postural alignment and the restoration of proper joint biomechanics and functional movement.
Muscle energy techniques can be employed to:
- Reposition a dysfunctional joint and treat the affected muscular shortening.
- Low back pain
- Pelvic imbalance
- Limited range of motion
- Somatic dysfunction
- Respiratory dysfunction
- Cervicogenic headaches
- Acute injuries.
- Myofascial restrictions.
- Muscular imbalance and weakness.
- Post fracture movement restriction of joint and muscles.
- Improve local circulation.
- Normalize hypertonic muscles and fascia.
AktivHealth, we use these techniques along with specific stretching and medically supervised exercise to ensure best long-term results. Several of our Physiotherapists are trained in this approach to restore function and reduce pain caused by restricted joint movement, changes in tone to muscles or even an excess of spinal and peripheral movement. The results are usually rapid, as demonstrated by reduced discomfort and increased mobility of the patients, benefits are likely to soon become apparent to both our patient and the therapist.