–By Taranjeet Kaur, metabolic balance® coach & senior nutritionist, AktivOrtho™
Exams are approaching fast. This is the time when students tend to become anxious and unfocused but with the right guidance, the correct diet and appropriate exercise they can prepare themselves to sit their exams with confidence. Here are a few tips that can help your children remain healthy, Aktiv and focused, for optimum results:
1. Ensure that your child does not skip meals, especially breakfast.
2. Their meals should include wholesome foods – a good portion of protein, whole grains, salad and essential fatty acids (omega-3 and 6). Such a meal will have a low glycemic load to help them get a continuous supply of energy.
3. They should eat plenty of vegetables including fresh salads as part of at least one of their meals.
4. Give them three different kinds of fruits a day – with or after meals – to satisfy their craving for dessert and give a good glucose supply to the brain.
5. Give them nuts such as almonds or walnuts as an evening snack option as they are rich in proteins and healthy oils.
6. Sweets, chocolates and energy bars should be kept to minimum as any food with high-sugar content will give your child a short-term boost followed by a sudden drop in blood sugar levels. This drop can seriously interfere with their concentration, memory and performance.
7. Encourage them to have enough water. Even mild dehydration leads to lack of attention.
8. Encourage children to exercise at least 30 minutes every day as it helps to enhance mood, improve concentration and reduce stress and anxiety.
9. Ensure that your children get enough sleep as lack of rest will make it impossible for them to absorb complicated information.
10. Do not cut out their usual TV or net time completely. Let them unwind a little by watching their favourite programs but limit it. They can also exercise while watching.